Monday, October 6, 2008

My kids and Hemophilia

My boys had a 50% chance of inheriting my bleeding disorder. Rooster has always shown signs while Tater has never had a problem. We decided to test both of them. The initial test on both of them showed negative but because of Rooster's problems the hematologist decided to treat him as if he has a bleeding disorder. This was at the time the hardest discussion I had to have with Rooster. He had been waiting for the day that he weighed enough to play football and the year we got the diagnosis was also the year he weighed enough but couldn't play because of the chance of serious injury.

I went through a horrible amount of guilt knowing that I gave a disorder to him that would affect everything he does in life. Rooster was an incredible amount of strength for me. The day that really turned around the way I thought about this disorder was when he climbed up on the couch with me and said "You know mom, I think God gave me hemophilia so I could be the one to find a cure for it when I'm older."

From that day we have never looked back or questioned why. Instead we take it one day at a time, one surgery at a time and somehow we've made it through.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow what an amazing son. With that kind od attitude, he will go far in life. How very blessed your are.

A Touch of Scarlett said...

Thank you for sharing your story . . .

 

Made by Lena